Sunday, January 31, 2010

who me? yeah you.

M raises a dilemma about names and naming and being -- well, maybe we don't need to go that far -- in this space. I'm conscious of wanting to stay a bit anonymous -- or pseudonymous (as it were) -- here at 550. As such, my name is nowhere to be found, but of course, with a bit of finesse and a bit of google, someone could easily unmask me. But for now, I choose to stay partially concealed and partial revealed. And so, we seem to have reached the need for noms de guerre . This is where my imagination fails me. Should we be geographic selves: "Sioux Falls" and "Philadelphia." Or perhaps chronologically characterized: "Old one" and "Less old one." Maybe we should reduce ourselves to the physical: "the blonde" and "the brunette" (that one doesn't really work because I'm barely a blonde and she's hardly a brunette). Or what about epicurean entitlements: "Yogurt Yogi" and "Sista' Sweet Tooth"? It does all come down to spaces, right?, so how about 550 and 775 (or whatever her spacious accommodations add up to)? But that's confusing, right? Wait, I have it: how about our preferences for tea? I could be "Peppermint" and she could be "Earl gray?" Or perhaps she should just weigh in!

3 comments:

Vivi said...

I say go with your favorite name that you, for whatever reasons, would rather have for yourself than give a baby or a cat. That's how I decided.

m said...

Vivi makes a good suggestion. I was thinking that if you want to stick with 550, I could be 26 below--the coldest temperature that I have seen my car display here (note: that was the temperature before accounting for the windchill). Or we could be inspired by one of Arlo's (A's departed four-legged soulmate) favorite games, but then I think we would both want to be "bunny." (at least I don't want to be "kitty" or "baby," and now that I think about it I don't know that I want to be "bunny" either.) I guess my vote would be for "550" and "26 below." Or "peppermint" and "red rose"--I don't really want to be a girl named "Earl."

Vivi said...

I like the idea of your name being: "A Girl Named Earl" though!