Thursday, January 14, 2010

relapse



Don't get me wrong, the salad-in-a-bag is a true delight, at least that's what I'm going to tell myself for the next 185 days or so until I say "I do." Don't tell me otherwise. Really, I need your support. Last night I really mixed it up, though, with cabbage-in-a-bowl:

Some people call this cole slaw. But it's really cabbage-in-a-bowl with some carrots on top. Red cabbage is a super food, and so I tell myself that I'm a super person when I nibble away at it. Save for the toxic odors that sometimes result, it's pretty great indeed. And yet I can't help but noting the culinary decline in the last week. I went from risotto to chopped lettuce, but we all tend toward declension on occasion, no?

Even as my consumption of red cabbage keeps me self-righteous, I kinda, sorta fell off the wagon late last night. A "comfort food" potluck at work convinced me that I needed to try the famous New York Times chocolate chip cookie recipe. My friend Maura once brought them to a party and no one wanted to eat anything else. They're just that good, and the key is the sprinkling of sea salt on the top, well, that and the two and half sticks of butter and bittersweet chocolate disks, not chips! You know you're making a bougie cookie when it calls for disks and not chips. The real question is how much cabbage does it take to offset the effects of half a batch or so of these babies?

2 comments:

Maura said...

okay I don't know what to say about the blendeds post - or the salad in a bag. You know that there are lots of ways to make salad delicious and exciting, right?!! Now I'm not saying to make NYT cookies all the time, but lord! Isn't there a happy medium?! I think I need to pass on this eggplant dish with quinoa that Jonathan makes. Do you like eggplant? His sister calls it "eggplant mush" which ordinarily might turn people off (though it shouldn't because it tastes amazing) but I'm guessing it won't turn you off if you DRANK salad for a period of time. that cracks me up.

EAL said...

anne, you know my motto: just say no to salad altogether. thumbs up for those cookies.