Wednesday, April 14, 2010

a hint of lovely



It's hard to be lonely in just 550 square feet. Loneliness takes at least a thousand, if you ask me. You actually have to feel like there's space around you that should be occupied but isn't. It's hard to be lonely when everything is in view. But yesterday, as I reconciled 34, I felt a bit of loneliness, probably because the one friend I have in Philadelphia was away and I didn't peep a word of my special day to a soul at work. It also rained all day; that unrelenting sogginess was everywhere. I came home, though, to two deliciously lovely treats: white tulips and this perfect little vintage handbag. I thought of the two ladies who sent them my way--one in the springtime of a new life and the other with two curious babes always in tow. I thought about how each one had been my witness and my friend: in darkest days of graduate school and in the far more hazy and joyful days of college. I love them both and get to see them far too infrequently. Perhaps my best birthday treat was the realization that not only do I get to see them both soon, but they'll get to meet each other. This, I think, must be the best part about getting married: all the people you love bound up in one joyous occasion.

2 comments:

Tara said...

That was my favorite thing about our wedding day. :)

EAL said...

lovely indeed. thanks for sharing.