Sunday, February 28, 2010

pudding of the gods


Have we talked about my obsession with bread pudding?

It started just last summer when out to dinner with my Dad in my neighborhood. I ordered a banana variety on a lark and fell wildly in love. There was passion and intrigue, surprise and wonder. On some level, this disconcerted me. I had long hated--I mean really loathed--all pudding. My brother was obsessed with those chemical-laden packets of Jell-o chocolate pudding when we were young. But I found it disgusting; after all, anything that develops a film freaks me out. Rice pudding is equally inedible, all little grains surrounded in too sweet stew. It's just not for me. But bread pudding: that's the real deal. And so over the last six months, I've become a connoisseur of sorts.

Until last night, the best bread pudding I've found is a pecan caramel glazed variety that is dangerously available right across the street from my apartment. But at $7 a serving, I've only been really tempted twice. A block away, and at the sight of my pudding deflowerment, is the banana-based one. It's dense and not too sweet, but too dry for any sustained longings. Another block from there is a nutmeg walnut one, but it's home is a very bourgie eatery, the kind of place where the peasant dessert comes on a square porcelain block and you feel guilty if it's all that you order. You find yourself ordering a $12 dirty martini and then it doesn't even matter what's in the pudding because you can't taste it.

Anyway, for all my love, I had never attempted a batch myself. It seemed too dangerous. 8 servings, maybe 10, a whole pan full of desire. I couldn't bring myself to do it, afraid what I'd become if I started whipping it up. And what if I memorized the recipe? I'd be a goner. Too rotund to get out my apartment door, let alone squeeze myself into a summer's gown. But yesterday, on a cold Kentucky evening when we had plans to host J's department head and wife, I decide that it was time. The latest Cook's Illustrated confirmed my suspicion. "Perfect bread pudding" it announced on the cover. With it's 9 yolks and 2 and a half cups of heavy cream, a few of dark rum-soaked raisins, and a bourbon-brown sugar sauce...well, perfect doesn't really approximate it. Then again, no adjectives will do the trick because it was contradictory in its perfection: light and spongy, but also full-bodied, saturated with flavor. It had a crisp top that foiled a custardy brilliance below. I think it's fair to say that it out-shined everything else. Don't tell him I said so, but I think J was a little jealous of my work.

Buy the magazine. Make the bread pudding. You'll never be the same. Neither will your middle.

1 comment:

miss kate said...

I love bread pudding so, so very much, but it can be really dodgy ordering it out. I get downright MAD when it isn't the right consistency (to me).