Sunday, February 7, 2010

from truffles to stack n' whack--I am a sucker for classes

One of my solutions to moving to the high plains without knowing a soul is classes. I'll sign up for basically any class. I have been taking cooking classes at the grocery store's teaching kitchen. They make me feel like I have a life--somewhere to go after work, an obligation to put in my calendar. They are observational classes taught by local chefs. You watch them cook, follow along with the recipe and then you eat and drink. All for $15 (which includes two or three glasses of wine). I guess I am a little discerning. I am not planning to attend "Time for Tacos" on the 18th or "Make it Steak!" on the 22nd. But I did sign up for "Moroccan Night" on the 23rd. I attended "For the Love of Chocolate" on Thursday. Of course I won the door prize--extra chocolate ganache to make my own truffles at home (the university is conspiring to keep me plump). There is a picture of my truffles below.


Yesterday I attended a "Stack n' Whack" class at the local quilting store. It was great. I don't know that I love my quilt, but I can see my self becoming addicted to this technique. By precisely pinning multiple repeats of the fabric you are able to achieve a kaleidoscope effect. It is great fun because each hexagon is such a surprise.



3 comments:

anne said...

So does this only work with a hexagon?

m said...

No, but the angle of the triangles determines the shape of the block. You can make a square--basically a pinwheel--by using a 45 degree center angle.

Maura said...

wow. it's fantastic. I've been wanting to try a kaleidoscope effect quilt for a while... that is amazing.