Wednesday, February 3, 2010

fuzzy

I've been fuzzy in the brain for days now. Today one of my students was rambling on and on and at one point I realized that I was seeing her in triplicate. You know when you sort of cross your eyes and your field of vision becomes a kaleidoscope? That's what it's like every day after about 2 pm. The culprit? Sugar. Or really, the lack thereof. You see, I've gone cold turkey. Gave it up. I'm on the wagon. Something had to be done. I was staring down the lining of a wedding dress and it wasn't looking pretty. In any case, I'd love to say that I feel like a new woman with a new lease on life. But really, I just feel foggy.

I've been trying to eat things with more ingredients. Fortunately J has been around to cook such things. Three nights ago it was stir-fry shrimp with a whole mess of ginger that right after this picture was taken, crashed to the floor, resulting in a bit less tang and the death of my beloved arlo bowl.

But I tried not to hold it against him. He was totally forgiven -- well, like 90% forgiven -- when I arrived home from work two nights ago to find steaming corn chowder.

It was so good that I forgot for a second that I had forgiven up my beloved nectar. And to top it all off, last night was a simple charcuterie. J had the meat product -- two for the price of one, to his delight -- but I was perfectly sated with aged gouda, my beloved green olives, and some whole wheat boule. I wasn't sure if the boule was a rule breaker, but I like to live on the edge.

The point is that I should be totally satisfied. But I feel like I'm missing an old friend. I kinda want to have her over for a playdate, but I also kinda know that she makes me do things that I really shouldn't do...Do diets always make you crazy?

2 comments:

m said...

I have lasted three and a half days on the no-sugar diet. But tonight I have a chocolate making class (at the HyVee grocery store--I am thinking about taking some pictures for you all). If I made any progress in the weight loss category this week I will try the no sugar thing again next week.

Maura said...

oh man. I was going to comment on the adorable dog bowl but then I read about its demise. SADNESS!!!! all those meals look delectable, though. even though I find it hard to believe that you need to be avoiding sugar for weight-loss purposes. i want the recipe for that stir-fry shrimp!