Thursday, February 3, 2011

the natural state


This morning I went to look up Arkansas's nickname: The Natural State. I laughed. But I laughed even harder when I realized that this was a revision from its original: The Land of Opportunity. Apparently the latter didn't stick. And yet it might just prove to be that for me.

I got back late last night from my campus visit, which was really rather good, if not totally exhausting. I'm now trying on the idea of life in the "mid south," in the apocryphal land of my college pal Stout. Of course, I don't yet know if that decision will be mine to make, but I'm trying on the idea nonetheless.

Here's what I want to remember about the Natural State:

1. there's an amazing Brazilian bakery in Little Rock that serves what I can only describe as the perfect food: manioc flour-based Brazilian Cheese Bread. It's like a little puff of cheesy heaven.

2. there are neighborhoods of old craftsman bungalows with wide porches and tons of charm.

3. arkansas really is arkansas.

4. the department was super nice, young, seemingly fun, smart, happy to working together.

5. the students i met were engaged and excited about being there.

So who knows? I do know that there's an inside candidate for the position, so I have no idea if they're even going to consider my candidacy seriously. If they don't, they don't. I'll be just fine either way.

No comments: