Thursday, January 27, 2011

winterberry

Okay, so they're really called wheatberries, but I much prefer winterberries. After all, I've discovered them in winter and they're hearty and rugged, the kind of grain that can stand up against a blustery January afternoon.



I first happened upon them during one of my jury duty wandering breaks. I found them in a delicious salad with butternut squash and raisins. My palate, of course, is so naive that I couldn't discern if they were tossed with cumin or coriander, curry or cardamom. Okay, that's a lie; I knew I it wasn't cardamom. But you get the idea. I felt immediately drawn to their crunchiness.

I found some in the bulk section of whole foods last Sunday and decided to give them a try. I couldn't find a recipe that represented the other contents of my fridge and pantry and so I just went with what I had and mixed together:

a cup of cooked winterberries (you boil them for about an hour)
a chopped up red onion (next time I'll leave it out or roast it first with the squash)
a smallish roasted butternut squash (cut into cubes)
one can of chick peas (well rinsed)
the juice from one lemon
a couple tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper
some curry powder
a desire for cilantro, but alas, it's absence

It's really rather delicious and here it is Thursday and I'm still eating off that salad. I think they may become a staple around these parts.

1 comment:

EAL said...

ooh I have been wanting a recipe like this. I made quinoa the other night and it bombed...no flavor, no consistent texture. blah. think I overcooked it. anyway, this looks good.