Thursday, January 20, 2011

sleeplessness

Two years ago, J and I faced a difficult decision. He had recently finished and defended his dissertation. I was in the process of finishing mine. He was on the job market. I applied for a single postdoc. We planned to move together wherever he got a job. But the gods of timing weren’t with us. I got offered my postdoc a couple months before he expected to hear anything about his prospects. And so we had to make each of our decisions piecemeal. The market was tanking and it seemed unwise to pass up a single opportunity. I feared being homeless, and so we ended up divided by 800 miles.

Fast forward to the present. J has a terrific tenure-track job at a college he adores and I’m finishing my postdoc at the end of this semester. Once again, we planned for me to move to his town and take up whatever work I could find. (I fantasized about opening a pottery studio or knitting “full-time”; I dreamed about starting a school or becoming a midwife). After all, the market is still lousy. But I applied to two dozen or so jobs just in case one of them happened to want to give us two jobs in the same place. An unlikely prospect these days. I also happily accepted a nomination for a fancy fellowship at one of any number of fancy schools, knowing that there was no way that I’d end up with it. You know where this is headed, right?

J calls it a Mexican stand-off. I think that might be racist, but I’m not sure.

As of today we have one tenure-track job (his), one on-campus interview for a tenure-track job (mine), one offer of a one-year sabbatical replacement job (mine at J’s college), and one fancy two-year fellowship that precludes all of the other options (mine). I suppose this is point at which I make myself into an object of scorn. We have, it seems, an embarrassment of underpaid academic riches. But only one of them puts us in the same place at the same time. Crudely speaking, that one is my least-best option. We are, in all its glory, the two-body problem.

And so it begins.

I have to learn compromise. I have to learn to think as a two instead of as a one. I have to sort what’s best for us from what’s best for me. Without J in the mix, I’d take the fellowship without question. But with J and my rapid-aging body, I have to think in new ways about our future. Am I the only one that finds this difficult to do?

We aren’t going to continue our commuter marriage. We are going to reside in the same house (a goal that any number of people have told me is “unrealistic” for two academics today). So I toss and turn at night imagining myself at one of several bucolic New England SLACs for the next two years, at the kind of place I stopped dreaming about in graduate school because the prospects were so dim. But then I stop myself with the reminder that I committed to something else altogether, that my academic work has never been the most important thing in my life. It may be the thing I spend the most time worrying about, but it’s not the thing that gives me the greatest pleasure. I mean, the teaching does, but the writing is often so painful that it makes me sick. And there are a million other things that I love and can love.

I feel like this is one of those key moments in life. Like it’s a test of sorts. But I also feel like any decision we make is going to feel only sort of right. The next few weeks will reveal more and I’m hoping that all of the crass details will add up to some compelling sum, that we’ll be able to mathematically calculate our decision, that we’ll develop some kind of proof for ourselves. That we’ll know what to do. And that we’ll do it.

5 comments:

Maura said...

I can't imagine being in this situation, but you have a wealth of options! and that is a good thing. I've been thinking of you. and this post is lovely and right on target. Good luck decision making. I think all we can do is what seems to be the best decision at the time. We can't read the future, after all. Making peace with that fact is hard, but I think it is a good thing.

Tara said...

Oh, Anne, I feel for you! I wish I had some wisdom to share, but no, just my most ardent wishes for the best possible outcome for you.

anne said...

Thanks all. I need all the advice I can get. I got a pithy nugget from a friend that seems worth sharing: "The biggest thing I realize as we grow older, is how much our lives are about compromise - even in the small everyday activities - biting our tongues with difficult work colleagues, not eating this and eating that instead, marrying loves who embody many qualities, but not all, we anticipated in a mate, working in the new world orders that our families pose to us in good and challenging ways. And most of all compromising with ourselves while still being our own biggest advocates." Thanks Yam! I needed to hear this.

EAL said...

I like what you've written so much because I can see your priorities clearly in the words: you and Josh. It is so hard for me to sort my priorities sometimes; I will come back to this post next time I'm in a quandary.

Maggie said...

I can completely identify with your dilemma, and I can promise you one thing, the answer may never feel cut and dry for you to pluck, however what I can say is that you are in this situation for a reason. Location, and living with your partner will make you feel more like you are actually starting your life together, and that state of limbo can go to rest. The success of your location is purely in your hands, and without challenges, life is really pretty damn dull anyway. You will learn a ton, and you will know it was supposed to happen this way, because it is the way that it happened. Keep in mind, you can only make these small step decisions on what elements you have immediate control over, and don't dwell on what you can't and you'll be fine! Lots of love, Maggie