Saturday, April 20, 2013

one month


At one month August is:

:: Still alive! I reckon this a major accomplishment for two parents who had virtually no experience with newborns.

:: Awake for longer and longer stretches in the day.

:: Asleep for 4+ hours at night. We're exhausted, of course, but on the nights when he wakes up just twice, I feel terrific the next day, like I've slept for twelve hours.

:: Still unwilling to find a regular rhythm during the day. We haven't yet found distinct nap times and Augie still eats whenever he pleases, upwards of 14 times a day.

:: Wearing cloth diapers during the day and paper diapers at night. The cloth is working well and I really don't mind the extra load of laundry every other day. Right now we're using prefolds and covers. J isn't yet a fan.

:: Transfixed by "his balls," the felt balls that hang over this changing table. We call them baby T.V.

:: Taking a bath every couple nights...photos to come.

:: Enjoying a walk most mornings in the K'Tan or the Ergo.

:: Drank his first bottle. Then promptly threw it all up.

5 comments:

Maura said...

he's adorable!!! And in these pics he looks like J! Esp. with the pic of the two of them together. Love his hair.

Sarah C. said...

We use the flip diaper system from cotton babies (the bumgenius people). In a perfect world I would use prefolds and wool covers; however, the idea of prepping the prefolds made me cry. The flips are incredibly easy. T., though reluctant at first, is actually a big fan now. We used flips at night when A. was getting up to nurse. Once he started sleeping through the night, we began using a bumgenius stuffed to the max. Anyway, if you wanted to cloth diaper at night, wicking synthetics (rather than soggy cotton) might be your friend. I also love hemp inserts, but they take forever to dry. Sorry, I am pathetic cloth diapering dork. I love gloating over my bins of clean inserts and brightly-hued covers. When you showed your wipes with the stitched edges, I felt a jolt of pure envy.

A. fed double-digit times a day for the first two months. We didn't get anything approaching a regular nap schedule until about 4 months in. Nights are key, however. I'm glad he's stretching out the sleep cycles.

He's also super cute. I love his droll expressions.

anne said...

Sarah--

Glad to know the flips are working well for you. That's the plan for once he's a couple pounds bigger. I suppose I could even start trying them at night in the next few weeks. I also want to explore the hemp doublers, but haven't ordered them quite yet.

Alex said...

Hey Anne. Now he looks SOOOO much exactly like Josh I can't believe it. All that's missing is a big bucket of KFC!

Don't worry much about a schedule or a routine just yet. There is no schedule. You just do whatever you have to do to get through it all. Things settle down and become more routine at around 4 months. Of course, as soon as you figure out one schedule, he'll go and change something up just to keep you on your toes.

You all sound like you're doing just great. I can't wait to finally meet the little bugger.

Sarah C. said...

I forget sometimes that not every baby is a nine and a half pounder like my (not so) little one. The flips fit him from the start.