Monday, April 8, 2013

2 weeks

August is two and a half weeks old. We’re tired, anxious, and smitten. We sleep in little bursts, which can work for a few days and then you start to feel like you’re moving through life in slow motion. You start seeing double and you forget what day it is, not that it matters. In any case, there’s much that I don’t want to forget, but probably will if I don’t record it somewhere:

:: the first week was punctuated by bursts of my crying. I’d weep because I was afraid something might befall the baby. I’d cry because I was convinced that he’d stop breathing and I’d cry because I was quite sure that his being alert signified a life-threatening neurological disorder. I’d cry because I felt overwhelming love and I’d cry because I was afraid that love was doomed. And then, for no apparent reason, I stopped crying.

:: the crying was a symptom of a much larger feeling of utter vulnerability. Within days of Aug’s birth, I realized that I felt more attached to him than I had to any other being, which, of course, is nature’s intention. Nevertheless, this attachment felt (and continues to feel) more terrifying than anything I’d experienced.

:: august loves to study the light. A few times every day, I catch him enraptured by the light filtering through the windows. His eyes go wide and he doesn’t blink for a full minute. He seems transfixed in these moments, enamored by certain slants of light.

:: i haven’t been able to get anything done. Aug and I sit together all day and most of the night. I’m sure that I’ll figure it out soon, but I just don’t quite understand how mothers of newborns manage to cook breakfast or do the dishes. The most we can master is taking a walk in the spring sun. Thank god the weather is turning.

:: i’ve been overwhelmed by the generosity of others. For the last week, friends have been bringing dinners over for us. This has saved us the burden of cooking when we’re exhausted and J is back at work. Mom and Don have also helped tremendously: taking Homer for hikes with his true love, Lucy, cleaning my house, doing my laundry, making sure my cup is full of hot tea. My sister, Molly, also swooped into town last week and made everything work for four days. J’s parents were here too and we enjoyed introducing them to their newest grandson.

6 comments:

sarah said...

you won't get anything done for 4 months... enjoy the lapse in reality! it will be there when the dust settles... and i am so happy for your new love. these creatures only get better and better if you can believe it. which, at this point, i'm sure you can't. i hope i get to meet him this summer! he looks like quite a catch! well done. xo,s

Maura said...

okay the 4th photo is just about the most adorable thing I've ever seen. I can't believe how dark his hair is!!! And he looks like you!!!

I don't think parents of newborns get much of anything else done. We felt like (inept) zombies for a long time. Hell, some days I still feel like that. Forget the laundry and food. There's always frozen food. After friend generosity ran its course I think we just ordered takeout and ate premade meals for a good 3 months. Maybe 6.

I've been thinking about the vulnerability, trying to prepare myself for it again - that sense of being utterly consumed (for better and worse) with this little person you've created, who is by some miraculous process his or her own person that you feel privileged and overwhelmed to get to know. Everything is raw for so long. I felt shaken and stripped and opened. It's amazing and exhausting. Much love to you guys. Loved this post - I've been hoping for an update and pics!!!

Maura said...

ps. paper plates!!! and cups. I forgot. We just said to hell with the environment for a little while. Semi-sanity over dishes.

Sarah C. said...

The first few months after birth it was an achievement to make a salad and heat up jarred pasta sauce.

A. was a non-stop nurser. During the day I was lucky if I got an hour between feedings. I highly recommend reading and watching non-stressful Netflix (Masterpiece Theater for me) while you nurse. Being able to do so much pleasure reading/watching was a relaxing indulgence in those first months, and I still felt very "present" with A. Of course, you're probably too exhausted right now to
concentrate enough to concentrate on any narrative for long.

I am so happy that you all are doing so well. Enjoy this newborn time because it really does go so fast (but other equally wonderful stages follow!).

Sarah C. said...

Update: Tom went to get take-out from Chipotle last night, and they did not charge him because we are "such good customers." In other words, there is still a lot of Not Cooking going on.

Tara F. said...

One of the most profound changes accompanying parenting for me has been my concern with mortality--theirs and even mine. Even the slightest risks register now, whereas I never used to calculate these things at all; I was never someone who worried about dying in a plane crash or anything like that, but now every time I travel away from them I feel a slight buzz of anxiety.