Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Shuttered from the schoolhouse

As I sent off my most recent application to Eastwestern Praire State University in Somberville, I could help but feel that this is a very good year not to get a job. Imagine it was four years ago and I was brimming with enthusiasm over the 63 jobs in my field, and imagine how disappointing it would have felt not to get even an interview, let alone an offer. That would have been a horrible year to not get a job. This year, though, it’s great. I can fail to get a single MLA interview and no one will dare tell me that it’s because I’m not good enough, because my project is inherently boring, or because I didn’t publish enough. Failure is built right in. With maybe two jobs that really match my interests, I’m almost guaranteed to fail. Oh what a joy!

Somehow I take tremendous comfort in this lousy market. It’s as if all the forces in the academic universe are conspiring just for my benefit, to ensure that I find something better to do with my time. There really seems to be no reason to worry about not getting a job. The real concern is actually getting a job and then having to do all that work of writing lectures, finding new research topics, revising that mildewing dissertation of mine.

So instead of bemoaning this situation, I’m going to embrace it. From now on and for good. Here’s to a great year of not getting a(n) (academic) job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say you'll be "outside the classroom walls," but that would be a bad inside joke. So I won't really say that. I'll just say that this is truly an expert example of rationalization, and I admire it. Highly. Of course, I've been not-so-secretly indulging in the same line of thought for months. Oh, I think I applied to EPSU too. Gotta solve the "two-body problem!"

m said...

I will do my best to remind you of this whenever you complain.

m said...

I will do my best to remind you of this whenever you complain.