Monday, August 9, 2010

the trickle in

Slowly but surely images from our wedding begin to trickle in from friends and family. With each set, I breathe a sigh of relief and crack an exuberant grin when I see photos of old friends laughing with our graduate school professors or my cousins whispering together in the background. These arrived this morning from my epistolary and poetic pal Emily, who read the Philip Larkin poem during the ceremony.
I wanted something that I kept calling a garden bouquet. It was light and airy, delicate but also vibrant. I was thrilled to find--and am pointing to--a few orange ranunculus woven in.
We had just two long tables. One of my favorite parts of the planning process was figuring out the seating chart. I day dreamed about the conversations people could have and took particular care in placing them, one by one down the line.
My dear friends Margaret and Tara led the flower arrangement effort. We used a combination of Margaret's antique coffee pot collection and standard-issue ball jars. She and my mom cut flowers at a woman's garden next to the barn where the wedding was held. I also did some last-minute clippings of Queen Anne's Lace right next to the tables.
So each place-setting ended up looking something like this:

I'm sure that there will be more to come. But for now, I'm just going to think about this perfect summer sky that hung over our celebration:

1 comment:

EAL said...

perfect...all of it, including that sky. wish we were still there!