Saturday, August 28, 2010

blocking board, wrap ups, and longing

I've needed a blocking board for knitting for a long time. Usually I just refuse to knit anything larger than an ironing board so that I can block on that lousy, but passable surface. But I've promised myself that I'll wrap up several lingering projects this fall, several of which just won't do on the ironing board. A fortuitous stack of boxes ready to go down the freight elevator at work reminded me that there was no time to lose. I'd just make one (after hauling 4 strapped-together boxes home on the train):

As you can see, I first taped the boxes together. I think you probably need the board to be at least four layers thick in order for the pins to sink in but not come out the other side. I then simply staple-gunned old towels to the surface. I used two, but you could probably get away with one or even go up to three. And that's it. The best part is that you get to use that staple gun that gathers dust on the shelf.

I did it mostly so that I could block this number, the ubiquitous "owls" pattern that every other knitter finished last year. It came together in less than a month: bulky wool and big needles. I'd model it for you but it's 85 degrees and I can't bear it. Also, my faithful photographer (well, perhaps not my faithful photographer, but my lovely pal) J has gone back to Kentucky and I can't very well balance the camera on the cabinet. I'd just end up with a lousy shot of my belly. But it does fit and quite nicely at that. It's also supremely warm.
The only problem is that the next project I need to wrap up this weekend or next is the "tea leaves" cardigan that I started last winter. I have no idea how this happened, but it's exactly--and I mean really, truly--the same color as the "owls." Apparently I only buy sage green wool when it comes to sweaters for myself. I don't know what that means.

I seem to have more time for knitting in the evenings now that J is gone and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on my book project (which doesn't mean that there's a light at the end of the four other tunnels that come next). But anyway, I'd rather take J than the extra time for knitting (I'd rather take him, in fact, than just about anything right now).

But alas.

1 comment:

Maura said...

The sweater is just lovely. What are the 4 other tunnels, pray tell??? and very cool to see how to make a blocking board. My mom and I were just talking about how we might block an afghan (crocheted). So thanks! Are you teaching this semester?