Sunday, March 10, 2013

Finishing


They say that you’ll never really be ready, and of course we’re not. We’re not ready for the sleep deprivation (though I’ve done some good training in that area for about six months) or the emotional demands. We’re probably not ready for the love or the worry or the joy. But we are ready in the way that older, bourgie parents can be ready. We have the stuff or at least enough of the stuff that we won’t need to make late-night Walgreen's runs to get a rectal thermometer or a snot-sucker. We installed the car seat yesterday and I’m determined to pack the hospital bag this week. Our taxes are about to go to the accountant and the car will get serviced this week.

I made a linen ring-sling this week following this pattern and got to set my first pleats. The knitted blanket, following this pattern, continues in fits and starts, though this is my latest distraction. The external version failed this week, but I did manage to learn something about my pain tolerance (it’s higher than I thought). This means that I’ll have a c-section two weeks from tomorrow or sooner if I go into labor naturally. Thinking ahead about the recovery and our staircase has meant readying a little cradle in the den with diapering supplies nearby. I should be able to perch myself on the couch during the day and have a place for the baby next to me.

Yesterday I made a quick foray into the world of rompers, following this pattern with some revisions. I think I’m in love. Josh thinks it a little "fruity," which is exactly my goal. I should have lined up the whales, but alas, this really was just a first attempt. There will be many more. So long athletic wear for babies; hello shortall. The yellow and teal quilt was a lovely gift from a Berea friend and artist. I love it, especially the binding.

And in case you needed proof of my full-term girth, here it is.

2 comments:

Maura said...

I love everything in this post!!!!! That romper is freaking adorable. You guys are ready for all the other stuff, too. So so excited for all three of you.

Sarah C. said...

The romper is adorable. I like the vaguely abstract quality of the unmatched whales.

As with everything, different people have different experiences, but after my c-section I climbed stairs just fine. I do recommend two nursing pillows, one for upstairs. I frequently found myself nursing at 3am with a bed pillow (not nearly as comfortable) because the boppy was downstairs. I also found nursing in bed uncomfortable and hard on my back; I had thought staying in bed with the baby for night nursing would be lovely, but nursing in a comfortable chair turned out to be more conducive to dozing. Anyway, trial and error.