Wednesday, May 4, 2011

a fine prospect


I’ve begun to write four posts in as many days. Each time, as I’m ready to finish one up, I get distracted or my plane lands or I decide sleep is better than blogger. I’m hoping to find the time and space to work on these hibernating posts more this week and, in turn, get this little blog hopping again. That may be wishful thinking. I have a feeling that chaos will ensue until I land permanently in Kentucky at the end of the month.

For now, though, I’m determined to post. J and I finally -- and hopefully conclusively -- decided on a house this past weekend. I made an unexpected trip back to Kentucky on Saturday to check out one lingering possibility, a lovely and rambling old place that in the end needed more work (and thus more money) than we thought we could muster over the next couple of years. So we decided on the little brick abode that we first turned up a few weeks ago.

It’s not without its problems, but this morning I woke up more convinced that we were making the right choice given the options that we have. I also woke up thinking about how polarizing this experience has been. Since I’ve known J, he’s extolled the virtues of renting. In fact, my first doubts about our relationship arose during one of his particularly vituperative monologues about the idiocy of home improvement. I was crestfallen. How could this otherwise brilliant, generous, caring, and creative man have such a blind spot?

He was, after all, calling foul on one of my core commitments. (Oh god, I can’t believe I just self-referentially used the expression “core commitments.”) He was, unknowingly, throwing stones at my imaginary glass house. I couldn’t take it.

I have, I’ve had, I’ll always have domestic desire.

You see, I was reared by a mother who was always crafting and recrafting her interiors, who was thinking about ways to make kitchen traffic flow or finding the perfect shade of butter for the living room walls. We always had stacks of interior design magazines and architectural books about small houses as our bedside table companions. I particularly remember a book from the 1980s about tree houses -- one of those old Sunset publications, I think -- that singlehandedly constructed arboreal retreats in my young mind.

Sadly, our recent house hunting was massively compressed. We had, essentially, one weekend to find a place in a land of generally abysmal architecture, in a state that’s given over -- hook, line, and sinker -- to the excesses of new construction. I had dreamed of a big bungalow on a rolling hillside with cultivated gardens, but not surprisingly, that wasn’t exactly available during the 48 hours we had. And so we’ve compromised.

We’ve taken the pretty good instead of waiting for the perfect. I like that we’ve made this compromise, mostly because I think it will help me to not over identify with my house. The yard is small, but carefully tended. The kitchen hasn’t been touched since the year of my birth, but is pleading for a facelift. The light doesn’t flood in, but there are these lovely, delicate wooden shutters on the inside of the windows that are ready to drink up a coat of brightening white paint. There’s enough to do, but not so much as to scare me from even starting.

Still, I've only half convinced my other half that this is a good decision. I see the worry in his eyes when we talk about replacing the furnace. I hear the tightness in his voice when he bemoans the lack of a disposal. But in the end, I think he'll come around to home ownership.

And it seems, in fact, like this little brick number might just be the perfect place to start.

7 comments:

hermance said...

Oh, Anne. It's lovely! Congratulations!

Maura said...

it looks divine. and in this case J is wrong. :) Look at the garden, the loveliness!!! and you can paint and do whatever you want to it!! congratulations!

Vivi said...

It is lovely and it might not be perfect YET, but that's what you guys get to do - make it perfect for you together. Have fun with it!

Anonymous said...

What can I say? I'm more vassal than lord, I suppose. Or perhaps I'm a cranky latter-day serf of some kind. After all, I'm now renting from my employer. (The crankiness is inborn, I'm afraid.) I think I'm coming around, though, to embrace our nation's great domestic birthright (i.e., homeownership). You shoulda seen me and the paint chips and appliances at Lowe's this weekend. It was a rendezvous with destiny. - J

Tara said...

Anne, it's beautiful! I'm so happy for you! And there is so often more to do than one expects (as way leads on to way), that it's probably good to start with small plans for renovation. :)

EAL said...

That's a dogwood, isn't it? Auspicious beginnings. There isn't a prettier tree anywhere in the early spring.

sarah said...

ooooh.... i am so excited for you! paint! furniture arrangements! could there be any happier thing in the world?? me thinks not.